Wednesday 2 April 2008

The Returns Policy.

This is an issue that annoys me greatly. Being a small business I have had to enforce rather a strict returns policy, it states that unsuitable goods can be returned within 14 days of purchase, with tags still attached and original receipt for an exchange or credit note. Any goods proven to be faulty qualify for a refund.

I have, over the last 6 months, had arguments with customers about the policy, one customer threatened to report me to trading standards (thankfully I had them check out my policy before displaying it) and I have had one or two customers not buy from me because of it.

Earlier today a semi-regular customer came in and had a browse about. She spotted a few things that she liked and placed them on the counter. As I was wrapping them up she asked would she get a refund if she got them home and they did not fit. I politely pointed out that I had a fitting room where she could try them. She could not be bothered to take all of her things off she informed me.

For some reason this lady has some sort of hold over me. I have no idea why, I do not know her, I have never offended her, but in a funny way I always look to please her.
So, I ended up agreeing that if the garments did not suit I would give her a refund???
I am still pretty baffled as to why I did this.

At the same time I am currently fighting with one of my suppliers to get credit for goods that I received that were not fit to sell.
Why is it that returns cause problems to all involved?

No comments: